X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on an early stage project broadly focused on legal applications.
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To attend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, including Google DeepMind, Google Research, and external organizations
- Duration: a flexible 4 months to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Collaborating with the X project team to apply novel approaches (RL, transformers, other state of the art methods in ML) to explore and prototype solutions.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility of various approaches; dispassionately assess performance and help team scope next steps
- Apply, modify, and develop new algorithms and software tools as the project demands
- Organize and process large volumes of data
- Work cross-functionally with experts at X, from Alphabet, and academia
- Report out to team on findings
- Engaging with the Internship community during the program (learning Moonshot thinking, attending colloquia, and tech talks) and having fun!
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in computer science, physics, math, neuroscience, or another heavily computational field with a strong interest in LLMs, NLP, reinforcement learning, symbolic systems, reasoning, and/or Bayesian optimization and probabilistic programming.
- Alternatively, currently enrolled in a graduate program broadly focused on the legal domain such as Master of Laws (LLM), Juris Doctor (JD), or Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) degree programs with an interest in applying new technology to the domain.
- A fast learner with strong coding skills in Python
- Familiarity with legal systems and the practice of law.
- Ability to work in a small team / rapid prototyping environment and deal with uncertainty and fluidity.
- Open-source projects that demonstrate relevant skills and/or publications in relevant conferences and journals (e.g., NeurIPS, ICLR, ICML, EMNLP, CogSci, Psychonomics)
- Experience working at the intersection of computer science and legal reasoning
- Experience working in a startup/research environment
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.