X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD\
What you should have
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program with an emphasis on chemistry, chemical synthesis and/or techniques in machine learning, artificial intelligence or a closely related field.
- Familiar with the latest approaches in computational chemistry.
- Real hands-on experience with machine learning and deep learning systems, algorithms or applications such as generative ML, transformers, LLMs, computer vision, unsupervised/semi-supervised and reinforcement learning, or graph neural networks.
- Experience with one or more machine learning frameworks, such as TensorFlow, JAX, or PyTorch.
- Fluency with Python and Linux operating systems.
- Ability to dedicate 100% of your time to the project for 6 months (we have a rolling application process).
- Ability to work in person at our headquarters in Mountain View, California, for the duration of your internship. Relocation expenses are provided.
- Perseverance, positive attitude, a strong collaborative mindset, and a deep desire to improve the world through technology.
- You are NOT eligible for the position if you plan to graduate or leave your academic program during the residency.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Open-source projects that demonstrate relevant skills and/or publications in relevant conferences and journals (e.g. NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICASSP)
- Experience working with multi-modal data (text, images, embeddings)
- Experience with Tensorflow Experience curating datasets for custom ML tasks
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.