X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD
We are an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
In this role, you will create formulations and use various polymer extrusion, 3-D printing, and additive manufacturing methods. You will design and modify equipment for the next generation of chemical processes.
You will work closely with design-focused members of the project team to identify and then solve new or existing problems.
You will bring with you a background that includes not only benchtop research and knowledge of the polymer space, but also hands-on experience designing experiments and experimental apparatuses to achieve your goals. At X we pride ourselves on our ability to prototype quickly, and get to the bottom of the hardest parts of our projects as quickly as possible. You’ll be key to that effort on this project.
This is an incredibly dynamic role and requires experimenting, redesigning equipment and processes, and experimenting again. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and has a track record of effectively developing melt-extruded formulations, molded materials, processes, and extrusion equipment designs; scaling processes; and has hands-on wet lab and chemical lab experience.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Evaluating externally and internally developed process equipment from a feasibility and scalability perspective
- Developing new chemical processes, formulations, extruded and molded materials and products
- Working closely with design teams to co-develop equipment and processes that tie into the broader commercial and engineering goals of the project
- Collaborate and coordinate with external partners and suppliers
What you should have:
- Studying towards a Ph.D in mechanical engineering, process engineering, chemical engineering, polymer chemistry, or a related field
- Experience with polymer extrusion, e.g. PET
- Chemical reaction setup and materials safety handling experience required
- Experience working in a wet lab environment required
- Interest in designing or working with chemical processes at scale
- Broad interests in applied chemistry and materials science and willingness to learn and explore new areas beyond your expertise
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience in applied polymer chemistry for fiber processing, composites, molded plastics, additive manufacturing, and selecting additives for these processes
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.