X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
X is Alphabet’s moonshot with a mission of inventing and launching “moonshot” technologies that we hope could someday make the world a radically better place. X’s projects have the potential to positively transform the lives of billions of people. As a moonshot factory X focuses on repeatedly turning breakthrough-technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world and create sustainable businesses in the long term.
Our early stage team are exploring a wide variety of fields fields: fusion energy, to chip design, to predictive modeling, to synthetic biology
About the role:
You will be the lead for one of our early stage projects focused on applied Large Language Models & generative AI to the legal space. You’ll work cross-functionally with the Software, Hardware, Product Management, partners and other teams. Our team is small, scrappy and constantly evolving, and you’ll be responsible for setting its direction and leading it to execute against it.
This is an incredibly dynamic role and requires high interdisciplinary communication, organization, and planning. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and has a track record of effectively operating in a dynamic loosely-structured environment (e.g. startup, new product within Google). You should be comfortable with uncertainty and constantly figuring out what to do next. If you like to know exactly what you’ll be working on tomorrow/next quarter, it’s probably not for you. If you flourish in creative chaos and can gently introduce a bit of rigor but not too much to kill the spirit of innovation, if you are motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and want to be part of an inclusive team with diverse mindsets and backgrounds that makes this happen - then this might just be the role for you.
How you’ll make 10X impact:
- Own the strategy and vision for the project and build the related product, technical roadmaps. Drive the team to meet the milestones. Balance long term vision and broad exploration with rapid execution.
- Drive key decisions on strategic direction
- Assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products, prototypes, and research explorations
- Work with internal and external partners to scope and execute data collection and testing as needed
- Be a magnet for talent. Be able to grow a team from infancy and help us make the right strategic hires. Provide mentorship, constructive feedback, and coaching to the team members
- Provide a sounding board of advice, assumption questioning, and puns to the project lead and other senior team members.
What you should have:
- Passion for impact, drive to help us achieve it and enough objectivity to tell us what’s not possible
- A visionary and audacious streak - we’d rather explore high-risk, high-reward ideas than build a functional, yet incremental, solution
- Ability to reduce ambiguity in a problem and make it tractable
- Very strong strategy and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and transform them into insightful product and business recommendations.
- Good at problem stating and problem solving, and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions. Must be able to break down problems independently.
- Ability to communicate complex information to your own team and to a wide variety of audiences at multiple levels of the company.
- Strong leadership skills, including written and verbal communication skills
- Sense of humour, bringing a sense joy to your daily work
- Deft partner management skills, evangelizing the value we bring, deciphering their incentives, and proactively smoothing conflicts.
- Solid product instincts, ability to understand users, and ideate on solutions.
- Talent for navigating organizations and creatively mobilizing resources.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- You have some kind of experience working in the legal field.
- You are mission driven. You are obsessed with solving real, large problems that profoundly affect hundreds of millions of people.
- You are a compelling story teller who can take people on a journey and paint a vivid picture of potential futures.
- You are audacious, brave and resilient. You shoot for the moon. You work on the hardest things first. You push yourself, the team and the company to take smart risks. You know fear, but you run towards it and don’t let it hold you back. You don’t expect things to succeed on the first try, you design thoughtful experiments and iterate.
- You enjoy engineering on the edge of reasonableness, with insufficient resources; a rag-tag crew of scientists, generalists, operating with unrealistic expectations and a low probability of success. You are biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves” to do whatever needs to be done for the team to succeed.
- You are unconventional, perhaps even a little weird. You know when boundaries need to be pushed and perspectives shifted.
- You are confident enough to challenge us and humble enough to challenge yourself. You are open to feeling uncomfortable and actively work on your own growth.
- You believe that great teams, not great individuals make breakthroughs. You are self-aware and seek out people who compliment your strengths and shortcomings. You make hard decisions. You are a magnet for talent and invest in the growth of your team mates.
- You model trust and collaboration, empowering your team and creating a high performance, positive culture.
- You are a stabilizing influence, helping the team navigate the seas of ambiguity and providing perspective through ups and downs.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $208,000 - $309,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.