X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD
About the project / team
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices. This capability could enable applications ranging from integrated photonics to metasurfaces, and requires technical developments in ultra-large-scale simulators, novel optimization schemes, and prototyping / fabrication capabilities. This effort is focused on inventing fundamentally new technologies with the ambition of bringing disruptive products to market.
- Research and develop constrained optimization strategies and machine learning techniques for automating the design of photonic devices
- Explore and implement novel simulation techniques for electromagnetic and optical devices
- Develop data-driven and physics-based models for semiconductor device foundry fabrication processes
- Currently pursuing an MS or PhD in physics, engineering, computer science, mathematics, or a related field
- Solid Python coding skills with an emphasis on software development best practices including code organization, testing, and readability
- Experience with the Python numerical and scientific computing stack (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, etc.)
- Past work involving differentiable physics simulators, adjoint methods, “physics for machine learning,” or “machine learning for physics”
- Research experience using modern machine learning libraries such as JAX, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
- Research experience with numerical methods for solving ordinary and partial differential equations
- Experience with applying constrained optimization techniques and algorithms (e.g. global optimization, local optimization, combinatorial optimization), especially in the domain of topology and shape optimization
- Experience with using or developing computational electromagnetic simulators (FDTD, FDFD, FEM, RCWA, etc.)
- Experience developing surrogate models for applications in physics and scientific computing
- Demonstrated contributions to open source projects in the area of scientific computing
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.