X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD
- General description: A process engineering resident with experience in integrating multiple chemical processes.
- Collaborate with the X Project teams on a pilot-scale process development:
- Design and build a modular chemical processing system that incorporates multiple individual chemical processes/reactors
- Use engineering judgment and best practices to create and iterate upon component/system designs that safely conform to required specifications communicated cross-functionally
- Develop system operation and maintenance procedures
- Manage vendors and suppliers ensuring components are within specifications and are delivered in a timely manner.
- Perform techno-economic analysis and life-cycle emission analysis on chemical processing methods at different scales.
- Conduct interdisciplinary research.
- Engaging with the Intern community during the program, engaging with the X community, attending colloquia and tech talks.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in a STEM field such as Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering or Chemistry with expertise in reactor design.
- Extensive hands-on experimental and hardware experience.
- Strong Ability with computer aided design and simulation tools (i.e. Solidworks, Ansys, etc.)
- Experience to create engineering drawings with a fundamental understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and ability to interpret various engineering standards (ASTM, EIGA, etc.) to guide designs.
- Solid understanding of first principle thermodynamics, kinetics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.
- Effective at navigating ambiguity and managing time constraints in a dynamic environment and strong technical communication skills (presentations/reports) with diverse audiences.
- Experience with the construction materials industry or mining and geological engineering.
- Expertise in water treatment, separation or membrane processes.
- Demonstrated large-scale chemical processing project and/or publications in relevant conference or journals
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages such as Python, C/C++ etc.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.