X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD
- General description: A machine vision specialist with experience in stereo vision and experimental optics.
- Collaborating with the X Project team to design and develop machine vision system to the project's mission
- Understanding the project’s goals and challenges
- Suggesting hardwares solutions in which machines/approaches/algorithms can apply to those challenges
- Prototyping machine vision hardwares
- Work closely with software team members in the sensing and simulation space to inform hardware and optimization efforts
- Engaging with the Intern community during the program, engaging with the X community, attending colloquia and tech talks.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in a STEM field such as CS, Optics, Physics, Engineering or Mathematics/Statistics with a strong interest in machine vision.
- Experience with 3D computer stereo vision hardwares for depth perception.
- Deep understanding of stereo camera models, calibration methods, and rectification.
- Experience with camera sensors and lenses requirements.
- Strong interest in optical system development, rapid prototyping and physical experimentation.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages such as Python, C/C++ etc.
- Open-source projects that demonstrate relevant skills and/or publications in relevant conferences and journals (e.g. NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICASSP).
- Familiar with stereo disparity estimation algorithms.
- Familiar with machine learning and deep learning for 3D reconstruction.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.