X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are scientists and engineers dedicated to creating transformative computational tools for Synthetic Biology. We’re building AI-powered decision-making tools that unlock fast, predictable progress for scientists.
About the role:
This is an opportunity to come in at the ground level for an early stage team innovating quickly at the intersection of biology and engineering. We are pushing the boundaries of what is possible in a rapidly evolving field, working with customers to solve real-world problems with biology. There is no roadmap here. You’ll need to identify the opportunities and help create the products that transform this space.
As a full-stack engineer, you’ll work collaboratively to build infrastructure and prototype end-user applications for customers in the synthetic biology industry. Building on the team's cutting edge computational tools, which apply advanced machine learning to biological modeling, your software will be a key factor in scaling our product and business in this rapidly growing market. You'll also help accelerate the team's progress by working alongside computational and experimental biologists to build internal tools and systems.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Build scalable systems for analysis of biological data, using Google Cloud Platform infrastructure
- Rapidly prototype web apps for data collection, analysis, and interpretation; evolve these apps and contribute to product definition via testing with internal and external users
- Acquire domain knowledge and proactively identify ways to accelerate the team via software
- Contribute to developing a strong engineering culture in an early-stage team, balancing agility and rapid execution with quality and long-term sustainability of the codebase
What you should have:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- At least 5 years of industry experience in software engineering, including experience with multiple general-purpose programming languages and industry best practices such as version control, code reviews, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration
- Experience with public cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud Platform preferred) and infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform)
- Ability to operate effectively without detailed requirements and specifications
- Exceptional communication skills, and background working directly with domain experts and end users to develop and clarify product needs and feature requirements.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Advanced degree in a scientific or engineering field
- Experience with analysis and visualization of scientific data, particularly the life sciences / biotechnology
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $157,000 - $243,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.