X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
X is Alphabet’s moonshot with a mission of inventing and launching “moonshot” technologies that we hope could someday make the world a radically better place. X’s early pipeline projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and accrue profits to Alphabet. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough-technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world and create meaningful business impact for Alphabet.
About the role
You will be leading the software, simulation platform, and ML platform development efforts for an early stage project at X. This includes iterating quickly through prototypes and deciding which projects to evolve into longer-term designs, as well as scaling up solutions to robust software components. This position calls for passion for early stage projects and comfort with ambiguity.
You will work closely with experimental and computational hydrodynamic engineers to identify the most impactful ways to accelerate their research. You will also work with partners inside and outside Alphabet to understand and translate their needs. Our team is developing technologies that redefine what is possible in a rapidly evolving field.
What you should have
We’re looking for a motivated and versatile engineering lead who understands the requirements of an early-stage environment.
- BS/MS in CS or equivalent practical experience
- Experience leading software development for data-heavy scientific applications
- Experience with ML
- Experience with Google Cloud
- Startup experience, or equivalent experience on early stage teams
- 5+ years of experience building software in an enterprise environment
If would be great if you also have
- PhD in CS or a natural science, engineering, or physics
- Experience with inverse design
- Experience with Google Cloud Engine
- Experience deploying distributed workloads on public or private cloud computing platforms
- Experience with numerical algorithms and numerical simulations
- People management experience
- Experience with Tensorflow and/or RL
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.