X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team
Taara is X’s project to expand global access to fast, affordable internet with beams of light. Learn more about project Taara here.
About the role
We are seeking a Senior Manufacturing engineer with Electrical and Systems Integration and test experience to work as part of an Operations team in the Manufacturing and testing of Wireless Optical Communication (WOC) systems. These systems are used for delivering abundant and affordable internet. The role is focused on applying manufacturing engineering rigor to support sustainability and new product introduction (NPI), and ensuring cost-effective and robust scalability of WOC products.
The position seeks highly-motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small dynamic team environment with engineers, technicians, suppliers and partners. The ideal candidate will thrive in ambiguity, and have a passion for creatively solving challenging problems of diverse scope in support of manufacturability, scaling, and continuous improvement projects (CIP) that can lead to high-impact advances in technology.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Define, build, document, train and maintain manufacturing assembly, integration and test processes and tooling for electronic and photonic subsystems, PCBA’s, system integration & test to ensure they fulfill design intent, specifications and performance determined by engineering and design is successfully transferred to manufacturing.
- Provide manufacturing engineering input throughout the product life cycle, driving Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) activities, supporting new product introduction (NPI) builds, and ensuring sustained production quality, process, and yield for integration, calibration and test at component, module and system level.
- Design and implement test systems to acquire detailed measurements and use data to make recommendations for design and/or manufacturing methods and coordinate problem solving and product improvement projects that will cause economical manufacturing costs and enhanced quality.
- Work with contract manufacturers and vendors on a sustained basis to improve build consistency, reduce cycle time, increase yield, and drive down cost. Address NPI build issues, drive root cause analysis and institute necessary corrective actions.
- Drive and maintain strong cross-functional collaborations with engineering, manufacturing, and supply chain teams in the down-selection, sourcing, qualification, and integration of components and vendors. Anticipate problems, prioritize their importance, and work cross-functionally to solve problems.
What you should have:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related field with 7+ years of experience in a Manufacturing Engineering role.
- Strong understanding of electrical systems and PCBA design and manufacturing.
- Familiar with EDA tools such as OrCAD and Altium Designer..
- Good understanding of semiconductor chip manufacturing and testing, optical and photonics subsystems integration and testing
- Good understanding of bill-of-materials (BOM) structures, configuration management, clear-to-build process, engineering change order (ECO) process, and the product life cycle.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills to support technical issues, set-up experiments, modeling, and data analysis.
- Ability to champion his/her technical solutions to manufacturability issues found with the design.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Able to communicate effectively with peers, interdisciplinary engineering groups, customers, vendors and across cultures. Create effective presentations up to executive level.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time domestically and internationally to contract manufacturers and supply chain vendors.
It'd be great if you also had these:
- MS degree in Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Materials Science Engineering, or equivalent with 10 years of experience in a Manufacturing Engineering role.
- Technical depth in two or more of these areas: optics, mechanics, and photonics
- Proficient with lab equipment including oscilloscopes, BERT, spectrum analyzer and network analyzer
- Semiconductor, Medical and Telecommunication equipment experience
- Familiar with python scripting and automation/ vision systems used in active alignment or high precision assembly.
- Experience in statistical process control (SPC)
- Six-sigma or similar certifications.
- Prior experience launching new products at contract manufacturers (CMs) and original device manufacturers (ODMs).
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $130,000 - $201,000 bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.