X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: a flexible 3 months to 6 months program based on project team needs and your availability
Overall you will be working with the X Public Policy team to research, understand, and communicate the intersection between one or more X projects or investigations, and government policymaking or action. Some specific tasks would be:
- Crafting efficient interviews of project teams to understand their work and identify key policy issues and develop ideas for potential positions and responses.
- Developing briefing papers on existing or anticipated legislation and regulation affecting various projects.
- Helping X Policy Team develop a strategy and a long-term plan for X’s presence at major climate and innovation events.
- Generally learning about X, attending events and tech talks, and engaging with the X Intern and Resident community during the program.
- Must be currently enrolled in a graduate or undergrad program.
- Exceptional undergraduate candidates will be considered.
- X is committed to a diversity of perspectives and encourages applicants from a wide range of academic institutions, including internationally.
- Demonstrated interest, e.g. through research study or volunteer/professional work, in public policy issues or debates surrounding science and technology.
- Strong writing skills, with samples available.
- Excellent communication skills and a curious mind.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Preference will be given to candidates with sophisticated understanding of both public policy and one or more fields of science and technology.
- Graduate-level publication or research history in fields of interest to X, (eg) climate and energy, machine learning, biology, etc. are a plus.
- Experience and familiarity with modern web-based productivity software, particularly Google tools.
- Presentation and public speaking skills to communicate one’s work.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is between $70,000 - $85,000 + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.