X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team
Taara is X’s project to expand global access to fast, affordable internet with beams of light. Learn more about project Taara here.
About the role
We’re looking for a seasoned, hands-on storyteller to partner with our team to bring Taara’s mission and impact to life. You’ll bring energy, storytelling, creativity, curiosity, media savvy, strategic thinking, and smart judgment to weave together highlights from Taara’s work to reach key audiences both in and outside the factory, to help share how our moonshot will impact the world. As an adept storyteller, you’re passionate about telling our story in compelling ways to both industry insiders and novices, creating materials that make sense for anyone, regardless of their domain knowledge. You’ll create and integrate content for executive meetings, partner discussions, and industry events.
We’re looking for great communicators with a knack for storytelling, program management, and collaboration who can thrive in ambiguity, understand complex and deeply technical topics, and explain them in person, in visuals, and in writing. You are scrappy and resourceful, creative and driven - and excited to share in the magic of working at X.
The role is based in Mountain View but is likely to involve global travel, as Taara is deploying its technology in various regions around the world. You will be responsible for creating and executing communications initiatives to convey Taara’s mission and share progress. You will contribute to cross-functional initiatives that are strategic to Taara, occasionally related, or unrelated, to marketing and communications.
How you will make 10x impact:
- You'll work with internal teams, partners, and agencies to define and build case studies and visual assets to drive awareness and in-depth understanding of Taara’s value and role within the complex connectivity ecosystem and the importance of global internet access.
- Co-create a clear narrative about Taara’s mission, progress, and partnerships to a diverse set of global, external stakeholders.
- Partner with cross functional teams to ensure Taara’s narrative permeates and reflects all areas of the business, while contributing to the advancement of the project and X’s objective as a whole.
- Manage daily proactive and responsive communications for Taara, including rapid response efforts.
- Develop written materials, such as blog posts, FAQs and talking points to effectively communicate Taara’s work.
- Partner with Taara product, partnerships, operations, and engineering teams to convey the real-world impact of our tech development.
- Develop written materials and visual assets such as emails, newsletters, internal websites, conference one-pagers, booth materials, presentations, and talking points for leaders to help communicate Taara’s progress at X.
- Distill complex, sensitive subjects into coherent and moonshot easy-to-understand inspirational messaging across deliverables like emails, FAQs, presentations, training materials, that resonate with a busy and highly technical audience.
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree or other relevant practical experience; 4+ years of PR, communications, or media experience building technical narratives, case studies, and product marketing;
- Adept at storytelling through a variety of mediums including video, slides, docs, one-pagers;
- Excellent written and verbal communicator who can explain messages simply to a variety of audiences;
- Cross-functional experience leading through complexity, with the ability to influence and collaborate with multiple stakeholders at all levels across functions;
- Startup experience ideal, startup mentality a must, with the ability to shift between strategy and execution.
It’d be great if you also had these
- Experience with policy/regulatory communications working in telecommunications, global access, or technology;
- Experience leading strategic marketing and communications to advance an organization’s mission;
- Experience executing integrated marketing initiatives to build brand identity and deliver on the brand proposition;
- Track record of prioritizing and executing competing priorities in a fast-moving environment. A quick learner, eager to explore new technologies and experiments;
- Creativity in both proactive and reactive communications approaches, skilled in rapid response issues with excellent judgment;
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous and dynamic environment;
- Global experience, appreciation and understanding for cultural differences, fluency in a 2nd language.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $129,000 - $200,000 bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.