X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
Our team is focused on using satellite and aerial imagery to better understand and predict environmental patterns. We do this through detection and classification of the features and patterns of the natural and built worlds, and by re-imagining the full geo-ML workflow. We believe mapping and measuring changes to the human and natural world will help us manage climate-related risks, and we focus on building the tools and models that allow a range of industries to better leverage earth observation insights.
About the role:
You will be a hands-on engineer, contributing to all aspects of the project’s development and deployment of applications. We are looking for a motivated generalist with broad experience across systems architecture and design in one or more cloud platforms. Our team is small but mighty and highly collaborative, and values pair programming, cooperative ideation sessions, and more.. We are committed to the agile principles and rely heavily on this framework for efficient sprints and cycles. We are looking for passionate and driven people, who are comfortable moving between creative, big-picture thinking and tactical execution in a fast-paced, fluid environment as our team moves from early stage development into production phases.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Help formulate key decisions on software architecture and features balancing business needs and our technology roadmap: balancing longevity with rapid prototyping
- Contribute as a key team member to the creation of new systems and processes to ensure high quality development, deployment, and maintenance of live applications in production environments.
- Create and maintain Google Cloud Platform-based infrastructure for software development and high-volume production systems.
- Present findings to team members, internal and external stakeholders, and help set a direction for future development.
What you should have:
- Professional software engineering experience, spanning prototypes to production-level systems and applications. This includes the full spectrum of backend skills including code development, designing for and implementing security measures and controls, troubleshooting and debugging, designing and implementing code testing processes, and monitoring deployed application’s performance and health.
- Experience with one or more common software design patterns (for example, Observer, Decorator, Visitor, Producer/Consumer, etc).
- Experience working on an early stage project and environment that moves into a production phase
- Experience with open source tools such as: Git, TensorFlow, Apache Beam/Dataflow, Google Compute Engine.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to Python
- An ability to thrive in an Agile-driven team: iteratively sprinting toward goals and products, contributing new ideas, standards, and processes.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with a wide variety of geospatial data
- Experience interfacing with customers
- Experience in Machine Learning Operations - scaling existing machine learning applications into production
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $157,000 - $243,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.