X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio focused on climate, sustainability and social justice. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
You will be part of very small, early stage projects and should be willing to roll up your sleeves and get things done while having a high tolerance for ambiguity. There is no task that is either below or above you. You should be self directed and comfortable operating independently with minimal oversight. This is an exciting opportunity to build technology from the ground up to fundamentally impact the environment and people’s lives. You will be developing new computational approaches, thinking creatively about how computational tools can interface with construction materials and infrastructure, and will frequently draw upon past experience as a Computer Science and/or Computer Vision and Machine Learning. If you are excited to help us build a moonshot to solve some of the biggest problems in sustainable development, we’d love to talk with you.
How you will make 10X impact:
Activities expected of this hire include but are not limited to:
- Development of computer vision and machine learning algorithms for object detection, recognition and classification, large-scale indexing and retrieval and multimedia understanding.
- Manage large and small-scale computer vision projects, define project requirements, systems specs, prepare budgets, and run technical development teams.
- Develop, test, debug, deploy, and maintain computer vision algorithms and hardware for cloud end embedded contexts.
- Study real-world needs, Gather and optimize analytics from computer vision algorithms and iterate on them to improve their performance in real world settings.
- Build technical documentation for computer vision systems for end-users to understand how these systems work and how to use them.
- Maintain substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories related to computer vision and also participate in the development of intellectual property
- Serve as technical lead in vision area and work closely with other software engineers, product managers and QA personnel to create high quality and highly performing solutions
What you should have:
- Minimum BA degree in Computer Science/Computer Vision and/or more than 5 years working experience in the field
- Practical experience in Machine Learning, specifically working with Open CV, vision related ML algorithms
- System prototyping and hardware software integration experience
- Familiarity working with Google Cloud or equivalent, specifically:
- Google Cloud Storage, Google computer engine
- Jupyter notebooks in Cloud
- Working experience with hardware (specifically optical sensors) and generating/capturing data for input into Machine Learning models.
- Experience with human labeling workflows
- A focus on technology development not research
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with leading prototype development coordinating with cross-functional teams
- Expertise with optical systems, LIDAR
- Experience in the remote operated vehicles and material characterization
- Experience in Convolutional networks, data pipelines
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $157,000 - $243,000 bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.