X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Project (Taara): This team’s mission is expanding global access to fast, affordable internet with beams of light.
About the role:
Our project is seeking to fill a Software Engineer Lead position. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing, testing, and deploying production-ready code for wireless backhaul communications terminals in a telecommunications network. The position seeks highly-motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small dynamic team environment, with a passion for solving challenging problems that can lead to high-impact advances in technology. This is a hands-on, technical leadership position where you will explore, pathfind and define key elements for our next generation Wireless Optical Communication (WOC) architecture options and sustainability of the current generation.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Full software stack architecture and development for wireless terminals. Examples include (a) managing timing and execution of data signal processing, (b) logging and telemetry, (c) health status monitoring and alarms, (d) network management; and (e) interfacing with hardware components in the system
- Develop and harden a linux-based platform to ensure data security and privacy for both data plane and control plane traffic
- Develop software tools to enable remote configuration of units, alarm monitoring, logging, and asset management
- Set strategy and roadmap for software development, and deployment and
- Mentor and coach other team members with regards to process technology
What you should have:
- Bachelor of Science (or higher) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar discipline, with 7+ years of embedded and system software development
- Strong cross-functional leadership, team management, execution, influencing skills and executive summary communication skills
- Proficiency and demonstrated experience on operating system fundamentals for embedded systems, user-level applications, networking, and linux
- Experience with configuration management, fault detection, and security
- Proficiency in C, C++, Golang, Python or other mid-level languages
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Masters (or higher) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar discipline, with 10+ years or more relevant experience
- Familiarity with ChromeOS, Android, or other IOT device operating system
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines and cloud-based development environments; e.g. github, gitlab
- Prior experience in networking systems, Layer 2 and Layer 3 network protocols
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $157,000 - $243,000 bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.