X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
One of the differentiators of X, the Moonshot Factory, is that we operate within the Alphabet ecosystem. Our team is helping X make the most of it by building internal partnerships across Alphabet. These relationships cut across technical, commercial, product, and functional teams and ultimately help derisk, accelerate, and amplify the portfolio at X.
About the role:
This role will be an important interface between X and key teams across Alphabet, and in particular but not limited to the technical and research communities. The intent is to develop engagement models between both parties that are mutually beneficial, repeatable and scalable. This individual will make critical contributions to the overall X portfolio by identifying and initiating opportunities for technical collaboration between X and Alphabet’s technical and AI/ML research teams. To that end, the individual must deeply understand both X’s and partner team’s unique cultures, high-level technical roadmaps, current research projects, priorities, and incentives, and then deliver on collaboration opportunities.
This role seeks motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small, interdisciplinary team environment, have a growth mindset, a passion for problem-solving directed at achieving meaningful business and commercial breakthroughs, and are comfortable with uncertainty, exploration, and iteration.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Identify and initiate new and specific opportunities for X to collaborate with Alphabet technical and AI/ML research communities: Deeply understand X, our priorities and the goals of the portfolio projects. Identify research within the Alphabet ecosystem that could accelerate our internal efforts. Make mutually beneficial matches between the research team(s) and X Projects. Support teams to drive collaboration to conclusion and eventual value.
- Evolve our engagement model with various Alphabet technical teams: find ways we can work differently together that will yield more mutual benefits. Identify root causes for sources of friction, propose solutions, design and launch changes. Find ways to scale positive interactions. Engage other Xers to ensure the engagement model is sustainable and robust.
- Serve as an (likely interim) interface with other priority teams across Alphabet. Work with leadership to identity which Alphabet teams should we be partnering / engaging with on an on-going basis. Initiate outreach and develop initial relationships to confirm mutual benefit and that value exists with deeper engagement. Identify appropriate ways to manage the relationship.
- Present findings to leadership to guide strategy, joint priorities. Identifying and communicating where and how we can improve our engagements across ABC will be important.
What you should have:
- Experience working with a AI/ML research organization within Alphabet and / or deep tech companies or audacious projects
- Direct experience with applying AI/ML research in the real world
- PGM experience. Detailed oriented and excited to hold team(s) accountable to deliver results.
- Ability to influence across organizations without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done
- Humble approach in learning new research, tools, and problem areas to become an effective thought partner with X project teams
- Thrive on ambiguity, relentless in creative problem solving with ability to set own goals and effectively deliver to them in a very fast-changing environment
- BA/BS or equivalent / relevant experience
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Degree in science or engineering field
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing docs, writing and delivering presentations), can liaise with senior external partners with ease
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $160,000 - $254,000 bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.