X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, computer vision, power system modeling and geospatial analysis. What unites us is a drive for impact and willingness to look ridiculous. We celebrate spectacular failures. Learn more about Tapestry here.
About the role:
X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing new ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
At X, data drives all our decision-making. Data Scientists work all across the organization to help shape X’s business and technical strategies by processing, analyzing and interpreting huge data sets. Using analytical excellence and statistical methods, you mine through data to identify opportunities for Tapestry and our partners to operate more efficiently, from enhancing advertising efficacy to network infrastructure optimization to studying user behavior. As a Data Scientist, you do more than just crunch the numbers.
How you’ll make 10X impact:
- Apply the latest in data science techniques to build and deploy data pipelines and exploratory data analysis on large-scale datasets
- Test and develop new techniques to pull forward critical insights and communicate them clearly to a diverse group of stakeholders
- Work with large datasets and solve difficult analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods. Conduct end-to-end analyses, including data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- Build and prototype analysis pipelines iteratively to provide insights at scale.
- Make business recommendations with effective presentations of findings at multiple levels of stakeholders through visual displays of quantitative information.
- Research and develop analyses and forecasting and optimization methods across ads quality, search quality, end-user behavioral modeling, and live experiments.
What you should have:
- PhD or Master’s in a quantitative field and 5+ years of tech industry work experience as a statistician, bioinformatician, or data scientist. Experience in statistical data analysis, such as linear models, multivariate analysis, stochastic models, and sampling methods.
- Experience in Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Fluency in Python and SQL
- Experience with cloud hosting services and storage of both unstructured and structured data
- Experience with processing live data streams, including sampling, synchronization, and quantification
- Experience with electric power grid data, and physics based understanding of electrical networks and utility data
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets.
- Experience articulating business questions and using mathematical techniques to arrive at an answer using available data.
- Ability to select the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem.
- Experience in managing a diverse team and work cross functions.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done
- Distinctive problem solving and analysis skills, combined with impeccable business judgment, leadership skills, and ability to communicate with a senior management team
- Attention to detail, project management, and organizational skills
- Fast learner with capacity to learn about a wide-spread of different technologies & industries
- Passion for the energy and climate space
The US base salary range for this position is $147,000 - $227,000 + bonus + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.