X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To attend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: 6 months
ABOUT THE TEAM:
X’s Transformation team believes that personal, human breakthroughs are key to truly innovative technological breakthroughs. We design experiments, programs, and rituals that unlock Xers’ consciousness, courage, and creativity in service of their moonshots. And we apply data, analytics, social science, and research to understand the science behind personal transformation to ensure rigor and scalability.
In this short term assignment you’ll be supporting the Transformation team to help design, execute, and manage a research project on the science behind human breakthrough. Your knowledge of best practices in qualitative and quantitative research methods will enable you to design and execute focus groups, expert interview protocols, literature reviews, surveys, and experiments that helps X understand why and how personal transformation happens.
- Support the design of a qualitative and quantitative, multi-phase research project.
- Develop written documentation that defines project scope, design, task-level deliverables, milestones, and management processes to ensure stakeholder accountability with regular guidance. Build project plans and timelines to ensure research milestones are achieved. Provide day-to-day project and stakeholder management.
- Design and conduct internal research with Xers, including focus groups, surveys, and interviews. Transcribe and code data as needed. Conduct qualitative and quantitative data analysis to synthesize findings.
- Design and conduct external research, including interviews with subject matter experts and academic literature reviews. Transcribe and code data as needed. Conduct qualitative data analysis to synthesize findings.
- Support the development and validation of a human transformation measure.
- Support the development of a whitepaper that synthesizes all research findings.
- Bachelor's degree in a field using human subjects research (e.g., psychology, sociology), or equivalent practical experience in a human subjects research methods role. Must be currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program.
- Deep knowledge of scientific theory and research methods
- Ability to execute quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Experience in a client-facing role, using data to influence HR strategies and presenting to executive audiences.
- Knowledge of psychology (social, developmental, I/O), neuroscience, and/or sociology, with specific interests in topics related to human motivation, potential, and development.
- Experience with advanced statistical analyses on people-related data
- Experience with psychometrics (test development and validation)
- Experience collaborating on projects involving multiple teams, managing ongoing relationships with clients, and presenting to senior audiences.
- Ability to self-direct work in an unstructured environment. Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and working autonomously at times.
The US base salary range for this role is between $106,000 - $125,000 + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.