X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
Our team is focused on using large amounts of geospatial data and images to better understand and predict environmental patterns, including severe weather, floods, and wildfires. We are a small but very industrious team that is both exploring new areas with our technology and pushing out live production code for partners to accelerate our learnings.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: May-June 2023 start date; 12-18 weeks on average (can be extended upon mutual fit and availability)
- Must be enrolled in a PhD program
How you will make 10x impact:
- Write python code for a scalable backend system to process geospatial data.
- Extend and implement machine learning models in development and production
- Design and write python code for monitoring the backend system
- Work alongside the team in new experiments at the intersection of geospatial and machine learning
What you should have:
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in a STEM field such as CS, Physics, Chemistry, Neuroscience or Mathematics/Statistics with a strong interest in backend systems and scalable architectures.
- Experience with one or more common software design patterns (for example, Observer, Decorator, Visitor, Producer/Consumer, etc)
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to Python
- Experience with open source tools such as git, terraform, Google Compute Engine, Amazon Web Services, etc.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with distributed, scalable systems and backends
- Experience with Google's Dataflow and/or Apache Beam.
- Experience with tiffs and tiff projections into physical spaces (aka GeoTiff)
- An ability to thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering them in a fast-changing environment
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen. Excited to go deep and learn about new and experimental technologies.
- We value diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives - we recognize that in the field of climate technology, many different approaches are required and this is not a one size fits all role! We welcome people who bring a unique perspective to the table!
The US base salary range for this position is $106,000 - $141,000 + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.