X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To attend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
In this role, you will:
- Analyze distributed optical technologies (external and internal) for solutions that can be applied to the team’s moonshot problem(s) in chemistry
- Prototyping aforementioned solutions, which will involve rapid physical hardware, firmware, software, and analysis iteration with other team members and internal teams
- Engaging with the Residency/Internship community during the program
- Bringing your unique perspective to the team’s culture :)
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in a STEM field such as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, CS, Physics, or Chemistry.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to: C/C++, Python, Java, C#, Golang, etc.
- Experience or strong theoretical knowledge with optics and optical components
- Firmware/embedded systems experience of any kind
- Strong prototyping skills
- Chemistry background (more optional)
The US base salary range for this position is $108,000 - $127,000 + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.