X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team
We are a team of scientists and engineers dedicated to creating transformative computational tools for biology. Our moonshot is to accelerate discovery and innovation in human health and other life science applications.
A biology background is helpful but not required; curiosity and passion for learning are essential. If you are excited to make a difference in this space, we’d love to talk with you.
About the role
You will be leading the software and ML platform for the project. This includes iterating quickly through prototypes and deciding which projects to evolve into longer-term designs, as well as scaling up solutions to robust software components. This position calls for passion for early stage projects and comfort with ambiguity.
You will work closely with experimental and computational biologists to identify the most impactful ways to accelerate their research, and with partners inside and outside Alphabet to understand and translate their needs. Our team is developing technologies that redefine what is possible in a rapidly evolving field.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Set the technical direction for a team of software and machine learning engineers.
- Work cross-functionally with biologists and machine learning experts to define and build stage-appropriate infrastructure.
- Drive tight innovation loops to build tools that are useful today without losing track of the big picture.
- Communicate effectively with team leads, product managers, industry and academic partners, and experts in biology and related disciplines.
- Roll up your sleeves and get stuff done as an early member of the team.
What you should have
We’re looking for a motivated and versatile engineering lead who understands the requirements of an early-stage environment.
- BS/MS in CS or equivalent practical experience
- Experience leading software development for data-heavy scientific applications
- PhD in CS or a natural science is preferred
- People management experience
- Startup experience, or equivalent experience on early stage teams
- 5+ years of experience building software in an enterprise environment
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $174,000-$ 276,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.