X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
In this role, you will be entrusted with designing and building mechatronics solutions to address challenges in the advanced recycling industry. You will design mechanical, optical and electrical components, sub-assemblies and assemblies, and integrate custom and off the shelf parts into solutions suited for industrial use.
You will work closely with Hardware Engineers, Software Engineers, Operations Managers, partners and suppliers to identify and solve new or existing problems.
This is an incredibly dynamic role and requires cross-functional communication, organization, and planning. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and has a track record of effectively developing new mechatronic solutions, has experience designing mechanical and electrical sub-systems that are deployable at scale, and has hands-on experience.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Design new and adapt existing designs for mechatronic solutions in the advanced recycling industry.
- Integrate advanced imaging and sensing technologies into industrially relevant, field deployable systems.
- Work closely with other hardware engineers and software engineers to co-design new mechatronic technologies that tie into the broader commercial and engineering goals of the project.
- Evaluate and invent new technologies for mechatronic material handling and sortation.
- Collaborate and coordinate with external partners and suppliers.
What you should have:
- B.S and M.S.. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field and hands on experience working with mechatronic systems.
- Experience in designing and prototyping mechatronic systems and advanced the designs toward deployment or production.
- Experience with designing robust, deployable and scalable mechanical and/or electrical systems.
- Experience with computer aided design software for mechanical design.
- Experience programming mechatronic systems or control systems.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with machine vision and vision systems.
- Experience with industrial control systems.
- Experience with electrical computer aided design software.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $141,000 - $216,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.