X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Project & Team
Mineral’s mission is to discover the intelligence of plantkind to feed and protect humankind. Our technology embraces the complexity of nature, unlocking agriculture data so the world can reimagine sustainable food production. This means leveraging advanced technology and use of AI across the total plant ecosystem to turn complex data into understandings that enable greater efficiency, productivity and sustainability.
You will be working on a small, nimble, cross functional team. You will work on reliability and test engineering development efforts, leveraging Alphabet infrastructure and X’s multidisciplinary innovation approach. You will contribute to the hardware platform to collect and classify relevant field data.
What makes this role unique
- Opportunity to grow a completely new product from early stage to maturity
- Working in an exciting and highly collaborative environment
- Participating in creating breakthrough technologies in computational agriculture
- Owning and growing early-stage and production-stage engineering for multiple hardware workstreams
How you will make an Impact:
- Develop and troubleshoot embedded hardware alongside software, mechanical engineering, and operations teams
- Design hardware from prototype to production (component selection, board design, physical layout, documentation, and system integration)
- Interface with contract manufacturer for hardware fabrication, assembly, part substitutions, DFM, production
- Develop and document hardware system and test fixtures for prototype and production hardware that interfaces and integrates with agricultural machinery
- Communicate methods and results to the broader team
What you should have:
- BSc/MSc in Electrical Engineering, or similar technical field
- 4+ years of professional engineering experience, ideally in EE, Mechatronics, or Robotics
- Experience with PCB layout, design and fabrication, including board bring-up, assembly, QA, and testing to factory process / manufacturing.
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and documenting hardware specifications, including safety and risk analyses
- Comfortable using test equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers...)
- Applied knowledge about reliability and test engineering
- Experience designing systems and prototypes for outdoor environments, ideally with farming and agricultural equipment
- Self-driven, analytical problem solver; comfortable with ambiguity
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills
It would be great if you also had these:
- Proficient in Python and C/C++ in embedded environment, and in embedded interface technologies (USB, I2C…)
- Working knowledge of Solidworks EPDM, Agile PLM, document control, and BOM management
- Experience in a startup environment
- Experience designing and//or working with agricultural equipment
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $119,000 - $183,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.