X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Role:
This role is for an electrochemistry resident specialized in cell engineering
About the Team:
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Collaborate with the X Early Pipeline teams on electrochemical cell design
- Design multi-membrane flow cells using CAD tools for three-phase electrochemical reactions
- Deploy real-time sensing of cell status, identify the sources of cell inefficiencies and optimize cell structure and catalyst materials iteratively
- Develop cell testing protocol and accelerate process optimization with parallel experimentations.
- Work with the teams on techno-economic analysis and life-cycle emission analysis on electrochemical processes at different scales.
- Conduct interdisciplinary research.
- Engaging with the Intern community during the program, engaging with the X community, attending colloquia and tech talks.
What you should have:
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in a STEM field such as Electrochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering with expertise in cell design.
- Experience working with potentiostats such as Biologic, PalmSens and Gamry.
- Experience with designing cell structure and fluid modeling with CAD
- Knowledge of real-time sensing and dashboarding
- Strong interest in rapid prototyping and physical experimentation
It'd be great if you also had these:
- Experience with electrolytic reactions such as CO2 reduction, hydrogen generation and salt splitting.
- Experience with bipolar-membranes and their applications.
- Strong publication records on cell design related works.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages such as Python, C/C++ etc.
The US base salary range for this position is $105,000 - $134,000 + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.