X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices such as optical networking equipment, lenses, image sensors, and lidar systems. We are leveraging Google-scale compute, optimization, and machine learning to enable 10x gains in ultra-large-scale simulation and optimization schemes.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a Software Engineer with backend infrastructure development experience. The role involves building software for compute-intensive applications, batch oriented workloads and automating workflows. The infrastructure will be built and deployed in a mix of internal Google as well as standard cloud (GCP) environments. You will also educate the team on cloud infrastructure, deployments, and cost trade-offs. Cloud experience doesn’t have to be in GCP but the deployments will be.
No prior experience in physics is required.
X projects are a dynamic, frequently changing environment. To be effective, moving forward confidently and productively amid ambiguity, nimbly adapting to changing priorities, and plotting new paths forward through various priority adjustments (and even cheerfully leaning into changes) will be necessary. Consistent, transparent, and thoughtful communication with multiple peers and stakeholders on the team in different functions will be needed for success in the role.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced SWE who is independent, motivated, self-driven, and capable of identifying and executing on both tactical and strategic goals for the project.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Build and own end-to-end software solutions. Your work will touch all layers (API design, production deployment, monitoring & troubleshooting, compute performance evaluation, scaling, and introducing hardware accelerators as needed) and will entail designing solutions that will need to adapt to changing use cases. So the ability to build extensible and maintainable software is key. You will be expected to own the entire maintenance lifecycle.
- Educate the team on cloud trade-offs, cloud-specific challenges and spread knowledge of cloud tech. This includes job scheduling & orchestration, experience developing with containers & microservices, exposure to infrastructure like Kubernetes
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of engineers, scientists, and domain experts. Listen to their needs, propose, design and implement solutions
What you should have:
- BS/MS in CS, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience of demonstrated experience
- Ability to work in a small but growing team and help onboard new people
- A fast learner with strong coding skills and a commitment to code quality. Ability to code in Python is a must and C++ is preferred
- Experience and comfort working in small-scale, research-heavy development environments with speculative, shifting business (and pre-business) needs
- Hands-on cloud experience. What’s important is that you’ve built cloud services before
It would be great if you had one or more of these skills too:
- Experience with GPU and/or TPU computing
- Experience with GCP deployments
- Experience with Python-based machine learning frameworks (JAX, TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc)
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $148,000 - $227,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.