X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
You will be bringing strategic analysis support to X - initially to the later stage X projects - as part of a multidisciplinary team to help the projects answer strategic questions as part of de-risking their projects on the path toward graduation.
About the role:
This role is a 1-2 year product-focused business strategy role with a high service orientation. The day-to-day aspects of the role involve working closely with 1-2 X project teams at a time to help them structure and frame problems, conduct research and quantitative analysis, develop presentations to present the results of your own analysis, or to help the team communicate to other audiences, serve as a thought partner, and generally seek to accelerate your project partner teams’ trajectory.
How will you contribute to a 10x impact at X?
- Conducting market sizing, competitive and regulatory analyses, and value chain mapping for projects where markets, competitors, and/or regulations may or may not yet exist.
- Evaluating and recommending business model and go-to-market options
- Providing other analytical support as needed, such as developing metrics frameworks and learning roadmaps, analyzing and prioritizing use cases, analyzing user / customer research data and developing quantitative models (BOM / cost, unit economics, pricing, revenue models etc)
- Partnering with marketing and communications colleagues on strategic positioning and messaging, and preparation for unveiling of projects.
- Helping identify key risks where projects could fail, and ways to stress-test them as quickly as possible by speaking to potential external partners
- Working cross functionally to de-risk other non-technical aspects of projects, partnering with Marketing and PR, Finance, Partnerships, Legal, Policy, Operations, etc.
What you should have:
- BA/BS or equivalent practical experience
- 3-4 years experience in management consulting, investment banking, or other investor role and excitement to learn about operating in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Very strong problem structuring / framing and analytical skills: must be able to break down and structure problems independently, and be comfortable analyzing financial, market or other data to yield insights
- Ability to ramp up quickly on new technical subjects, gather and analyze large quantities of information, synthesize and turn them into insightful recommendations. Able to turn ambiguous problems into radical solution proposals.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering slide presentations); can engage with senior external partners and internal executives with ease
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience at a top tier strategy consulting firm
- Degree in a science or engineering field
- Ability to scope own workstreams and work highly autonomously, with clear, proactive communications to set appropriate expectations and convey progress / concerns early.
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done.
The US base salary range for this role is between $102,000 - $147,000 + bonus + benefits. Your recruiter will share more about the specific salary range for your targeted location during the hiring process.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.