X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Organize, process, and analyze large volumes of experimental scientific data
- Use and develop infrastructure for data analysis, visualization and annotation
- Explore novel ML approaches for modeling protein function
- Work cross-functionally with experts at X and Google (e.g. Google Brain, Google Applied Sciences etc.) to apply, modify, and develop new algorithms and software tools as the project demands
- You are mission driven. You enjoy solving real, large problems that profoundly affect hundreds of millions of people.
- Audacity, bravery and resiliency are values you embody. You shoot for the moon. You work on the hardest things first. You don’t expect things to succeed on the first try, you design thoughtful experiments and iterate.
- You are biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves” to do whatever needs done for the team to succeed.
- You are confident enough to challenge us and humble enough to challenge yourself. You are open to feeling uncomfortable and actively work on your own growth.
- You believe that great teams, not great individuals make breakthroughs. You are self-aware and seek out people who compliment your strengths and shortcomings. You make hard decisions and invest in the growth of your team mates.
- Experience with scientific data analysis and excited about the opportunity to combine with ML modeling
- Experience with the python data science stack (numpy, pandas, etc.) and software version control tools
- Experience creating compelling visualizations of data, both static and interactive
- Experience working with biological sequence data, including NGS data
- Experience visualizing protein sequence and structure data
- Applied machine learning experience with NLP/sequence modeling and optimization techniques.
- Pursuing MS/PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Natural Science, or closely related field, ideally with some experimental lab experience in molecular biology and protein engineering
At X, we don't just accept differences - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.