X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
You will be part of a very small, early stage project and should be willing to roll up your sleeves and get things done while having a high tolerance for ambiguity. There is no task that is either below or above you. You should be self directed and comfortable operating independently with minimal oversight. This is an exciting opportunity to build technology from the ground up to fundamentally impact people’s health. You will be developing new computational approaches, thinking creatively about how computational tools can interface with biology, and will frequently draw upon past experience as a data scientist, statistical geneticist, molecular biologist, biochemist, computational biologist, bioinformatician or chemo-informatician. If you are excited to help us build a moonshot to solve some of the biggest problems in health, we’d love to talk with you.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Work closely with a small interdisciplinary team of software engineers, computational biologists and experimental biologists to develop novel modeling and prediction tools at the forefront of machine learning.
- Work cross functionally to design robust experiments and experimental controls.
- Devise the best data analysis and visualization metrics for experimental and computational datasets in collaboration with other team members.
- Processing data to extract new and useful signals for ML modeling.
What you should have:
- PhD degree or equivalent research experience in Computer Science, Mathematics or other relevant scientific fields such as in the life sciences or physical sciences.
- Knowledge of genomic sequencing techniques, analysis and tools.
- 4 years of work experience in ML for health, biosignal, and/or scientific data analysis.
- Coding skills in Python and experience working with machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or equivalent.
- Experience with statistical data analysis such as linear models, multivariate analysis, stochastic models, sampling methods.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experienced in design of experiment at the interface of multiple disciplines (i.e. wet lab and computation).
- 2 years of graduate level experience conducting experiments in biochemistry, molecular biology and/or chemistry.
- Applied experience with machine learning on large biological or chemical datasets.
- Experience working in a start-up environment.
- Experience building a modeling tool from concept to launch.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.