X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Project (Taara): This team’s mission is expanding global access to fast, affordable internet with beams of light.
About the role:
Our project is seeking to fill a lead engineer position with experience in the design, fabrication, and validation of opto-mechanical and photonic circuit systems for the next generation of Wireless Optical Communication (WOC) terminals. Candidates should have experience in a multi-disciplinary team dynamic delivering custom silicon photonics with specialization in package design, thermal/mechanical modeling, and advanced mechanical engineering disciplines.
This is an exciting & dynamic technical leadership position where you will explore, pathfind and define key elements for our next generation WOC architecture options.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Deliver the building blocks of next generation WOC technology by solving major challenges in the environmental, materials, and thermal management disciplines. Provide oversight and guidance to the team and external partners to secure a foundation that carries us to commercial success.
- Working with partners that span academia and industry, provide oversight and guidance that converges the path to commercial success.
- Solve for high levels of photonic integration with larger physical complexity than currently exists in production. Reduce the enormous challenges in thermo-mechanical packaging and system level thermal management to production solutions having high yield and low cost.
- Extend new technologies used in core network applications to the WOC application to benefit from economies of scale. Provide early identification of risks associated with the outdoor environment and rapidly assess the cost and performance implications.
- Provide a strong engineering voice as the manufacturing team and partners ramp up to production quantities. Assist in the allocation of resources dedicated to risk evaluations and development vs. preparing for mass production. Provide dispassionate assessment of those workstreams as early input for resource rebalancing, leading to profitability.
The position seeks highly-motivated individuals that enjoy working with minimal guidance in a dynamic team environment, with a passion for solving challenging problems that can lead to high-impact advances in technology.
What you should have:
- MS degree (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering or Physics, with ≥ 6 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong cross-functional leadership, influencing skills and executive summary communication skills.
- Expertise in designing opto-mechanical and/or photonic integrated circuit based laser systems.
- Expertise in finite-element analysis to evaluate thermally-induced stresses, and structural modes.
- Expertise in one of the mainstream 3D mechanical engineering CAD/Simulation software programs.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- PhD (or higher) in Mechanical Engineering or Physics, with ≥ 10 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in engineering leadership roles in a cross-functional matrixed environment.
- Hands-on practical experience with designing agile, light-weight, compact, and high-accuracy pointing mechanisms, with potentially multiple stages (e.g., coarse pointing and fine pointing).
- Proficiency with maker skills, CNC mill, lathe, soldering, optomechanical integration.
- Experience with advanced thermal management systems e.g., metamaterials, thermo-electric, and phase change materials
- Familiarity with packaging of photonic integrated circuits (PICs).
- Expertise in mechanical behavior of hybrid optical flip chip packages under thermal loading.
- Expertise in thermal, mechanical, and electrochemical considerations in packaging of electro-optical fiber components.
- Knowledgeable in semiconductors, packaging, board level design or development, chiplets in 2D, 2.5D and 3D configurations.
- Proficiency in design and simulation using Solidworks and Ansys.
- Familiarity with tooling and processes for volume production of hardware.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.