X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices such as optical networking, lenses and image sensors, and lidar systems. We are leveraging Google-scale compute, optimization, and machine learning in order to enable 10x gains in ultra-large-scale simulation and optimization schemes.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a SWE with infrastructure expertise and with knowledge in EDA tooling and automating physical design flows. No prior experience in photonics (or other physics domains) is required. Our project does provide these learning opportunities however.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of software and hardware engineers, scientists, and domain experts. Listen to their needs, propose, design and implement solutions.
- You will build automation that accelerates and improves the quality of our current and future tapeout and verification flows. What you design and build will need to adapt to changing use cases, so the ability to build extensible and maintainable software is key.
- You will ensure that our tapeout and verification flows stay operational.
- You will help evaluate, stress-test and integrate commercial and/or open-source EDA tools and ensure they work in concert with our internally developed software.
- You will help our team engage with external manufacturing partners to prototype new manufacturing advances that push our project further, and integrate these into our flows.
- You will ensure our overall infrastructure and flows enable users to go smoothly from a design idea all the way to manufacturing success.
What you should have:
- BS/MS in CS, or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to work in a small but growing team and help onboard new people
- A fast learner and strong coding skills (preferably in multiple languages, but Python is a must); a strong commitment to code quality.
- Experience working with, integrating and enabling smooth usage of 3rd party EDA tools (preferably physical design tools), either commercial or open-source.
- Experience with collaborative software development and software engineering best practices.
- Be comfortable working with custom design flows.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience deploying cloud-based software or high-performance computing systems
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.