X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices. This capability could enable applications ranging from integrated photonics to metasurfaces, and requires technical developments in ultra-large-scale simulators, novel optimization schemes, and prototyping/fabrication capabilities This effort is focused on inventing fundamentally new technologies with the ambition of bringing disruptive products to market.
This role is a 1.5-2 year product-focused business strategy role, ideally bringing in someone from a top tier strategy consulting firm, to help a project de-risk a moonshot involving design automation. The day-to-day aspects of the role will involve understanding and evaluating a new technology, researching and interviewing potential customers, estimating market size, building economic models, and reporting results to project leadership. The position seeks motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small, interdisciplinary team environment, have a growth mindset, a passion for problem-solving directed at achieving meaningful breakthroughs in technology, and are comfortable with uncertainty and exploration.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Lead market sizing, competitive and regulatory analyses, and value chain mapping for potential project applications where markets, competitors, and/or regulations may or may not exist
- Help identify key risks where project could fail, and ways to stress-test them as quickly as possible by speaking to potential external partners
- Develop project economic models. X projects aim to become profitable businesses at scale, so this matters
- Present findings to project leadership to guide strategy and investment for projects
- Work cross functionally to de-risk other non-technical aspects of projects
- BA/BS or equivalent practical experience
- 2 years experience in management consulting, investment banking, or other investor role
- Very strong strategy and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and turn them into insightful business recommendations. Good at problem stating and problem solving, and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions. Must be able to break down problems independently
- Can do and humble attitude, willing to learn new tools and content to become an effective thought partner with project team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering presentations), can liaise with senior external partners with ease
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
It would also be great if you had:
- Degree in a science or engineering field
- Business experience on topics directly or tangentially related to semiconductors, integrated photonics, or similar.
- Financial modeling experience
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.