X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About The Team
The X Legal team works on the most exciting legal issues since our moonshots require creative and proactive guidance. We challenge ourselves to think big and differently in providing solutions and strategies for our clients- at X, the legal team can be audacious too! Our team aims to accelerate X while demonstrating values of respect, wellbeing, creativity, integrity and continued development.
About The Role
We are looking to expand our growing legal team by bringing on a Commercial/Product Counsel, based in Mountain View, California! As Commercial/Product Counsel for X, you will work alongside world-class innovators to facilitate partnerships and identify legal issues related to various product development and business goals. You’ll be part of a legal team that supports a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs in building and launching moonshots across a variety of technologies, supporting the initial stages of product development through launch and early commercialization, and helping prepare different moonshot projects to become independent businesses. In this role you will draft and negotiate non-standard agreements to facilitate innovation, work on many exciting legal issues that relate to disruptive technology, deliver proactive legal guidance, and foster client awareness of legal issues via counseling and strategic education.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of agreements independently, including inbound services agreements, advisor agreements, license agreements, partnership and collaboration agreements, and other non-standard agreements on a daily basis
- Manage agreements to comply with company policies and risk tolerance
- Respond promptly to legal requests from Project Leadership, Tech Leads, Product Managers, Business Development and other clients, communicating legal concepts understandably
- Advise business clients as well as cross-functional colleagues on legal issues and risks, approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP and business strategy
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations, including privacy and data security
- Manage a diverse and challenging workload with competing priorities and stakeholders
What you should have:
- JD degree with a strong academic record
- 5+ years of relevant legal experience
- Must be admitted to the CA bar and be in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in California
It would be great if you also had experience in these areas:
- Solid understanding of commercial legal issues, including related to AI/ML and software technologies
- Experience advising senior business executives
- Transactional experience with complex commercial agreements and related IP provisions
- Product experience advising clients on all aspects of product development, including privacy, technology, security, IP strategy, and regulatory issues, especially for novel technologies and products
- Corporate experience, such as inbound and outbound M&A, capital fundraising, and corporate governance
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.