X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it. Learn more about Tapestry here.
About the Role:
As a member of Tapestry’s software engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to own an area of our growing technical moonshot. We are rapidly growing in multiple software areas, hence looking for technical contributors with diverse backgrounds.The ideal candidate is a strong software engineer who can work closely with power systems engineers to develop data- and simulation-driven applications for decarbonizing the electric grid.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Help system planners and others design or participate in a grid powered by renewables.
- Design and implement algorithms for building simulation models and analyzing simulation results using statistics and data mining techniques.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility
- Work with collaborators across X and Alphabet (e.g. DeepMind, Google Accelerated Sciences, etc.) to apply, modify, and develop new ideas, techniques, algorithms, and tools as needed.
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 3 years experience writing complex, production software systems.
- Experience writing software to analyze numerical data.
- Proficiency in first principles of electrical engineering physics and willingness to learn advanced power systems concepts.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related technical field.
- Education or experience in one or more of the following: optimization problems, especially optimal power flow and related techniques; physical simulation.
- Experience working in a small team / rapid prototyping environment.
- Passion for making a positive impact in decarbonizing the electric grid.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.