X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Tidal is a team at X working on a moonshot to protect the ocean and preserve its ability to support life and help feed humanity, sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing hardware and software technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water. We’re building cutting edge hardware, deploying state of the art perception models, and working in one of the toughest environments on the planet. Learn more about Project Tidal.
About the Role:
As a manufacturing process engineer you will design, establish, qualify, and maintain manufacturing solutions for new products. You will ensure that manufacturing builds run smoothly and meet key performance indicators for yield, quality, and capacity. You will be involved in initial design, prototyping and evaluation of designs for precision electro-optical-mechanical systems. You will also collaborate with the internal product design team and external suppliers to ensure successful scale-up of the manufacturing process, factory test software, equipment, and assembly line.
How you will make 10X Impact
- Develop and optimize assembly process, line layout, fixtures and equipment. Write process instructions. Train technicians to follow process steps.
- Work on the line with Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs), Contract Manufacturers (CMs), and suppliers to prioritize and solve manufacturing and design related issues. Drive all design, material, process, and equipment issues to closure.
- Support and improve process and test equipment, including a strong focus on factory test software scripts, test limits, and results dataflow. Act as frontline support for factory test software issues during production build events.
- Act as Manufacturing Engineering liaison to product design, engineering, and software teams. Understand project requirements, assess novel manufacturing technologies, and implement process improvements for improved cost, quality and yield.
- Analyze and implement Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) to the manufacturing organization. Some limited travel to suppliers (~1 week/quarter).
What you should have:
- BS degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering; or Materials or Physical Sciences.
- 3 to 5 years of experience supporting manufacturing process, factory test software, and manufacturing equipment / automation.
- Experience launching new products at Contract Manufacturers (and/or Original Design Manufacturers).
- Demonstrated experience working with software tools (Linux, Python, Database tools, PDM tools).
- Excellent communication and people skills.
It would be great if you also had these:
- 5+ years of work experience, including experience in electromechanical or optics manufacturing environments.
- MS or PhD engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience writing code in python, C++ or similar.
- Experience with optical alignment tools and processes.
- Six Sigma Green/Black Belt certification and lean manufacturing.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.