X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it. Learn more about Tapestry here.
About the Role:
As a member of Tapestry’s software engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to own an area of our growing technical moonshot. We are rapidly growing in multiple software areas, hence looking for technical contributors with diverse backgrounds.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Develop breakthrough power systems technology for software for the electric grid.
- Work on power systems simulation across different modeling domains and grid domains.
- Build and own end-to-end software systems and develop product or system solutions for ambiguous problems.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility and integrate with our platform.
- Work with a team of talented software engineers and power systems engineers to develop innovative techniques to simulate the grid end-to-end at scale.
- Work with collaborators across X and Alphabet (e.g. Brain, Google Accelerated Sciences, etc.) to apply, modify, and develop new ideas, techniques, algorithms, and tools as needed.
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 5+ years of experience in software development building production-grade software in Java, Kotlin, Go, C++, or C#, and working with data structures/algorithms.
- Experience designing and building production software systems with automated testing and CI/CD processes.
- Experience with architecture and design of software systems for large-scale cloud-based applications using data processing pipelines, big data storage, pub/sub messaging queues, and containerized applications.
- Experience in electrical simulation including system modeling, numerical methods, solver choices, performance optimization, or solution analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related technical field.
- Experience with software applied in Electrical Engineering, power systems, or energy fields.
- Experience working with simulation software such as power flow, dynamic simulation, and electromagnetic transient programs.
- Ability to work in a small team / rapid prototyping environment.
- Passion for making a positive impact in decarbonizing the electric grid.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.