X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
About the Role:
As a member of Tapestry’s software engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to own an area of our growing technical moonshot. We are rapidly growing in multiple software areas, hence looking for technical contributors with diverse backgrounds.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Develop breakthrough power systems technology for software for the electric grid.
- Work on power systems simulation across different modeling domains and grid domains.
- Innovate on developing new capabilities for power systems simulation based on modern computational systems.
- Work with a team of talented software engineers and power systems engineers to develop innovative techniques to simulate the grid end-to-end at scale.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility.
- Work with collaborators across X and Alphabet (e.g. Brain, Google Accelerated Sciences, etc.) to apply, modify, and develop new ideas, techniques, algorithms, and tools as needed.
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering in Power Systems or related technical field.
- 5+ years of experience in power systems work.
- Experience working with simulation software such as power flow, dynamic simulation, and electromagnetic transient programs.
- Experience in electrical simulation including system modeling, numerical methods, solver choices, performance optimization, or solution analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Masters Degree or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, with a focus in Power Systems.
- Experience with electrical circuit modeling, control systems, power electronics, switching inverters, or electric machine controls.
- Ability to work in a small team / rapid prototyping environment.
- Passion for making a positive impact in decarbonizing the electric grid.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.