X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
Mineral’s mission is to scale sustainable and regenerative farming globally through computational agriculture. This means organizing and analyzing the planet’s ag data collected by a new generation of intelligent equipment & sensors, improving farm profitability and sustainability through plant-by-plant management, and unlocking biodiversity and resiliency through radically more efficient crop breeding.
About the Role:
This role gives you an opportunity to join a fast growing team committed to unlocking sustainable agriculture globally. You drive the development of Mineral’s moonshot narrative, shape their messaging, and lead the communications around major launches and announcements. Because these projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people, their path into the real world is rarely smooth or straightforward, so your job is to win the hearts and minds of the press, opinion formers, governments, and partners / potential partners - as well as internal stakeholders across Alphabet.
About the Team:
We are looking for a communications manager who can:
- Understand, simplify and explain complex and technical issues in the development of communications materials and campaigns
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders - from agronomists to engineers to thought leaders to journalists - to tell our team’s story with authenticity, clarity and inspiration via blogs, earned media, events, social posts, newsletters, multimedia
- Foster and deepen media relationships in tech, agriculture, sustainability and business
- Craft compelling narratives that will help Mineral land in the world and attract a tribe of passionate hires, partners, advisors and advocates
- Manage executive stakeholder and investor relationships at Mineral and across Alphabet
- Lead executive comms strategy for strategic internal and external audiences via written, visual and live speaking engagements
A media master, storyteller, trusted advisor and relationship builder, this candidate knows how to reach and connect to top media and influencers as easily and effectively as internal executives. If you are creative, collaborative, and enjoy the challenge and thrill of a fast-paced environment, this could be a great fit. This role requires the ability to navigate ambiguity while making things happen at the pace of a startup. You are equally comfortable developing a communications strategy as you are executing it, and ensuring each detail has been thought about. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things, able to bring to life the nuances of what makes Mineral unique, and are able to effortlessly navigate cross-functional relationships and key stakeholders while ensuring that the Mineral story inspires, resonates and engages.
How you will make an impact:
- Help to craft and share our stories (about the solutions we’re building with partners and the the vision of Mineral) to both internal and external audiences
- Articulate and help bring to life our team’s aspirations and actions to make a positive impact on the world; Dive deep into complex technologies to surface with compelling ideas and stories for a variety of audiences
- Develop written materials including blog posts, FAQs, talking points and more to communicate Mineral’s opportunities across various audiences
- Own execute internal and external communications short-term strategy and long-term vision
- Develop strong relationships with journalists to pitch stories and communicate complex technology in simple terms; manage PR agency relationships
- Develop and execute social media strategy
- Create and execute conference / speaker strategy; partner with the team to customize personal stories for speaking engagements and events
What you should have:
- 6+ years experience in PR, marketing and communications
- Hands-on experience developing and building trusted media relationships
- Well rounded and excited to flex between higher level strategy and detailed executional work
- Copywriting experience
- An optimistic and resilient spirit with a start-up mentality
- Proven ability to navigate and thrive in a fast moving and ambiguous environment
It would be great if you also had these:
- Startup experience ideal, startup mentality a must. Bonus for experience working in a public company and/or experience with Investor Relations
- Experience operating in complex business environments and navigating multiple stakeholder interests/POVs
- Proven communicator - exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Comfort with complicated technology and science topics, and a knack for explaining them simply and compellingly to a variety of audiences. Constant curiosity and a learning mindset.
- Ability to demonstrate creative thinking across both digital and physical worlds to deliver a rich storytelling experience.
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering them in a very fast-changing environment.
- Experience working in agriculture and/or agriculture technology
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.