X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We're looking for an enthusiastic leader with strong Controllership skills who is excited by the mission of using computational agriculture to drive regenerative practices, and wants to build out a Controllership function from the beginning to support the mission.
The Mineral Controller role is a key leader on the Finance team and will be responsible for the strategic direction and execution of our controlling, reporting, audit, and tax work. Specifically, the Controller will be critical to working with the right people, and building processes and technology to meet the expanding needs of the company, including meeting high standards for compliance processes and internal audit.
It’s an exciting position, demanding excellence in technical skills, strength in building emerging businesses, and a proven ability to work in cross-functional teams. The Mineral Controller will educate and partner across teams to accelerate & operationalize our businesses, protect our assets and get our financials right.
This is the right role for you if you are enthusiastic and a self-starter, someone who thrives in ambiguity, wanting to design new and enhance existing processes; scoping, designing, and implementing new and scalable processes to support Mineral’s growth. You will collaborate with Product, Engineering, Business Development, Legal, Corporate & Technical Accounting, Tax, Treasury, and other Finance teams to manage financial risk, and develop and maintain scalable accounting & compliance processes to support Mineral’s business. You will design & continually improve month end close and reporting processes; and implement new processes and infrastructure as needed.
How you will make an impact:
- Serve as the primary accounting & controls business partner for Mineral and fulfill our responsibilities to Alphabet Finance & Leadership
- Monthly and quarterly close reporting and certification (including bookings, reconciliations, run close meetings, variance analysis, providing results to corporate teams for consolidation)
- Design & maintain an effective internal control environment and compliance programs to ensure accuracy of Mineral’s financials; Proactively recognize potential areas of risk and mitigate
- Design & run Bet governance & financial operations processes
- Support transition to new financial systems and 3rd party outsourced finance support groups
- Advise on revenue accounting, M&A related accounting, tax accounting and internal audit requirements
- Lead key initiatives to explore billing, international expansion, deal structuring and other projects
What you should have:
- 8+ years experience at some combination of Big 4 accounting firm, public company, or start-up
- Demonstrated experience in building accounting & compliance processes
- Analytical skills, quantitative, and strong computer desktop skills
- Strong business acumen
It would be great if you also had these:
- CPA or CA and strong working knowledge of US GAAP
- Database experience including proficiency in SQL across standard commercial databases
- Experience with domestic and international accounting
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Attention to detail, project management, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to influence across the company and to interact at all levels
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.