X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
The X Legal team works on the most exciting legal issues since our moonshots require creative and proactive guidance. We challenge ourselves to think big and differently in providing solutions and strategies for our clients- at X, the legal team can be audacious too! Our team aims to accelerate X while demonstrating values of respect, wellbeing, creativity, integrity and continued development. This is a non-attorney role on the X Legal team, working closely with People Operations teams at X and Alphabet companies.
As an X Employee Relations and Investigations People Partner - you will work in conjunction with HR business partners and the Google/ Alphabet Employee Relations (“ER”) and Investigations teams to conduct quality investigations of workplace matters for teams at X and other Alphabet companies. You will also advise on a wide range of employee relations issues, including reorganizations and performance management for X teams and Alphabet companies. Using your knowledge of applicable employment laws, you will advise on recommended protocol for investigations and develop a protocol for appropriate investigation documentation and recommendations for management. Working closely with X Legal and Human Resources departments, you will interpret policies and procedures and advise on fair and equitable employment practices. You are also a generalist who will provide Human Resources expertise in the areas of performance management, coaching/ development, organizational development and restructuring as well as provide coaching/ training to the X HR team to build their expertise in these areas. This will be an individual contributor role.
- Ensure that the workplace investigation/ complaint process is handled in a fair, timely manner consistent with local requirements
- Ensure that investigations are thorough and include: understanding of the allegations; appropriate interviews, analysis and documentation; and recommendations for conclusion and course of action
- Provide project management coordination and guidance for HR business partners and managers on reorganizations. Liaise directly with X Legal and Google/ Alphabet investigation teams
- Provide advice and counsel to HR and managers on general employee relations issues
- Responsible for the preparation, tracking, and maintenance of critical ER documentation, such as investigations, reorganizations, recommendations, etc
- Prepare internal training materials and templates for HR business partners regarding appropriate handling of investigations, reorganizations, transitions/redeployments, performance management and other employee relations issues
- Work with X Employment Legal and Alphabet ER and Ethics & Compliance teams to keep abreast of changes to employee policies and document templates in order to advise on potential recommended changes to employment policies and documents
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of Employee Relations, Employment Legal or HR Generalist experience
- Deep understanding of employment law principles, including federal, state and local laws
- Experienced and comfortable with handling tough investigations
- JD focused on employment issues
- Ability to listen, but also to persuasively convey opinions and recommendations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact at all levels
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Ability to be viewed as approachable and objective
- Keen understanding and sensitivity to confidentiality
- Project Management experience, including process and controls development
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.