X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
The Strategy Team at X is a team of strategists that are each dedicated to a small number of projects and investigations, and support them on questions that vary from how big is your market, all the way through, what is your business model, your 5 year plan and product. Our strategists are viewed as an integral part of the project team; They work shoulder to shoulder with the project team to better understand the business and moonshot potential of the relevant ideas and technologies, and help by quickly solving through problems and challenges, and setting the project up for success in the real world.
About the role:
This is a varied and unpredictable role, which requires being comfortable with uncertainty and being self directed, creative and a critical thinker. If you like to know exactly what you’ll be working on tomorrow/next quarter, it’s probably not the best fit for you. If you have startup experience and a varied background, if you like problem solving in markets that have yet to be invented as well as rolling up your sleeves on implementation, if you thrive on creative chaos and can gently introduce a bit of rigor but not too much to kill the spirit of innovation - then this might just be the role for you.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Lead market sizing, competitive and regulatory analyses, and value chain mapping for relevant projects you will be assigned to, where markets, competitors, and/or regulations may or may not exist. You will lead review and ensure quality of analyses and summary materials through the relevant project’s lifecycle, taking into consideration our unique approach as well as real market input and data when available.
- Build and review economic models in partnership with project team managers and Finance. X projects aim to become profitable businesses sooner rather than later, so this a high priority.
- Help identify key risks where projects could fail, and ways to stress-test them as quickly and cheaply as possible.
- Help prioritize and focus, foreseeing and addressing future issues while covering urgent needs.
- Present findings to project teams and X executives as needed, to guide strategy for the relevant projects.
- Demonstrate confident and compelling communication, presentation and consensus building skills to all audiences.
- Drive and implement recommendations leading to measurable business results.
- Manage dialog with key decision makers effectively, even when delivering tough messages, drawing on multiple influence styles.
- Work cross functionally to de-risk other non-technical aspects of projects, partnering with Business Development, Legal, Policy, Privacy, Marketing/PR, Operations, etc.
What you should have:
- BA/BS or equivalent practical experience.
- 7-10 years experience in strategy consulting or other business strategy role.
- Background in chemistry, human biology, health, physics or computer science.
- Very strong strategy and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information (both primary and secondary research), and turn them into insightful business recommendations. Good at problem stating and problem solving, and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions. Must be able to break down problems independently, and work through them.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering presentations).
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- MBA and/or degree in a technical, science, or engineering field.
- Financial modeling experience (Finance will build most models, so you won’t spend a lot of your time modeling, but you will guide structure and assumptions, and need to be comfortable working with models).
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment.
- Experience leading complex strategic and operational initiatives, working through technical, operational, legal/policy and business issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills, personable yet persistent.
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.