X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices. This capability could enable applications ranging from integrated photonics to metasurfaces, and requires technical developments in ultra-large-scale simulators, novel optimization schemes, and prototyping/fabrication capabilities This effort is focused on inventing fundamentally new technologies with the ambition of bringing disruptive products to market.
The position seeks motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small, interdisciplinary team environment, have a growth mindset, a passion for problem-solving directed at achieving meaningful breakthroughs in technology, and are comfortable with uncertainty and exploration. In this full time role you will join our research and development team to build, test, evaluate, and scale state-of-the-art constrained optimizers, leveraging Google infrastructure. You will have the opportunity to design and run experiments and contribute to research infrastructure development.
- MS or PhD in physics, engineering, computer science, mathematics, or a related field
- Strong Python coding experience with an emphasis on software development best practices including code organization, testing, and readability
- Comfortable with the Python numerical and scientific computing stack (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, etc.)
- Experience using modern machine learning libraries such as JAX, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
- Experience applying machine learning for large scale applications
- Track record of spearheading research projects from start to finish, including the conception of ideas, formation of hypotheses, experiment design, analyses, and iteration
- Solid written and verbal technical communication skills
It would also be great if you had:
- Past work or research experience involving differentiable physics simulators, “physics for machine learning,” or “machine learning for physics”
- Experience with topology optimization or in applying constrained optimization techniques and algorithms (e.g. global optimization, local optimization, combinatorial optimization)
- Experience with using or developing computational electromagnetic algorithms (e.g. FDTD, FDFD, FEM, RCWA) or simulators and numerical methods in other domains (CFD, acoustics, etc.)
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.