X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
In this role, you will be responsible for taking early stage investigations from an idea stage to first prototypes to full-blown projects. You’ll be rapidly iterating through a set of prototypes to evaluate possible product directions.
This is an incredibly dynamic role and requires high cross-functional communication, organization, and planning. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and has a track record of effectively operating in a dynamic loosely structured environment while independently tackling software engineering challenges.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Design performant software systems capable of continuous ingestion and processing of high volumes of data from multiple sources.
- Implement and test these systems in real world environments, working closely with hardware engineers to identify areas for improved performance.
- Collaborate across early pipeline engineering, operations, product, and X central teams.
What you should have:
- Strong Python and C++ capabilities, including experience with multithreading
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform (e.g. Spanner, Dataflow, Kubernetes) or analogous cloud-based systems
- Demonstrated experience delivering a product or service
- Applied Machine Learning experience
- Experience with Google ML Stack in one or more of: natural language processing (semantic understanding, sentiment analysis), computer vision, time series analysis.
It'd be great if you also had these:
- Embedded engineering experience is a plus
- Experience working with related fields such as chemistry, chemical engineering, chemicals, polymers and industrial plastics.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.