X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
Our early stage climate-focused project at X is hiring a geophysics engineer, who will work on defining and executing a set of geophysics computational and machine learning experiments.
In this role, you will be a part of the early stage dynamic project working on a full range of computational geophysics tasks - from prototyping to building full-scale solutions.
This position calls for a highly-organized self-starter with a passion for early stage projects and comfort with ambiguity. The ideal candidate should have a track record of effectively operating in a dynamic and loosely structured environment (e.g., startup).
How you will make 10x impact:
- Resident geophysicist on the team: define ML experiments, perform data reviews
- Get your hands dirty! Identify, design, and implement a set of experiments and prototypes to rapidly de-risk projects.
- Set the direction for the engineering team implementing the experiments, and act as mentor to the team on geophysics.
- Serve as the geophysics expert in communications with partners.
- Have fun!
What you should have:
- MS/PhD degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience building ML models on geophysical data (seismic surveys, gravity/mag, well logs, documents, …).
- Experience with ML frameworks: TensorFlow/Keras/JAX. Experience with Python packages: Numpy, Scipy, Pandas.
- Python proficiency.
- Self-starter - can make progress independently.
- Strong communication skills.
I’d be great if you also had these:
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically about complex initiatives to guide a variety of moving pieces towards execution.
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology.
- Field geophysics experience.
- High performance computing (HPC) experience.
- GCP experience.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.