X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- You will be collaborating with hardware design engineers across Alphabet and applying innovative technologies to chip design and design automation. Your responsibilities include one or more of the following:
- Prototype innovative logic synthesis, technology mapping, placement and routing technologies,
- Prototype open-source EDA solutions, such as ABC, DreamPlace, etc, in real-world use cases.
- Learning Moonshot thinking, attending colloquiums and tech talks
- Engaging with the Internship community during the program and have fun
- Currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program in a STEM field such as Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics/Statistics with a strong interest in chip design.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to Python and C/C++
- Experiences with VLSI design from transistor-level design to the full physical design flow, namely, RTL to GDS flow
- Experiences with continuous/combinatorial optimization algorithms, such as simulated annealing, SMT solving, MIP solving, linear programming, quadratic programming etc.
- Experiences with commercial implementation flows from RTL to GDS, using Cadence or Synopsys tool suite
- Experiences with standard cell designs in advanced technology nodes, e.g., FinFET etc.
- Experiences with prototyping design automation solutions and their applications to the overall design flow for chip tapeout
- Demonstration of relevant skills in scientific journal publications, conference submissions, open source projects or similar.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.