X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
We're looking for exceptional software engineers to drive the software engineering effort in an early stage project at X.
In this role, you will be entrusted with the ownership of and responsibility for the entire SW stack, ranging from backend pipelines, data collection frontends, high performance C++ code and ML inferencing. In addition to exemplary technical abilities and individual contributions, you will be coordinating the contributions of other software engineers towards the goals of the project and keeping in close communication with the project leadership. You will work closely with cross-functional project team members to identify and then solve new or existing problems with your software expertise.
This is an incredibly dynamic role and requires high cross-functional communication, organization, and planning. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and has a track record of effectively operating in a dynamic loosely structured environment while providing technical leadership for the project goals.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Setting the software technical direction for both research prototypes and product deliverables with the early stage leadership team.
- Building the whole solution: data acquisition, data processing pipelines, ML modeling.
- Guiding and mentoring junior team members
- Protective stewardship of the software stack, ensuring that it is stable, reliable and performant.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the project leadership
What you should have:
- Tech Lead experience.
- Good working knowledge of C++ and Python
- Experience with ML applications using Tensorflow
- Data pipelines and storage
- Startup or early-stage product development experience
- Demonstrated experience delivering a product or service
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with GCP is a plus.
- Embedded engineering experience is a plus
- Experience working with related fields such as optics, hyperspectral imaging, chemistry, polymers and industrial plastics.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.