X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it. Our Power industry partners are facing an unprecedented transformation of how electricity is produced, transported and consumed. New technologies are enabling a path to a more sustainable, lower carbon footprint for the power grid but the industry is struggling with managing the transition in an efficient manner. The energy transition faces an enormous array of challenges as new technologies, renewable resources and distributed resources are connected to a power grid that was designed for large centralized thermal power plants and predictable consumption. Our focus is to bring technology, machine learning, AI, optimization and visualization tools into power system operations and planning in order to accelerate the transition. We focus on understanding our partners mission and reimagining how to complete the mission in a transformational manner to allow our partners to turn what looks like insurmountable problems into solutions. We transform uncertainty into solutions.
How you will make 10x Impact:
- Engage with our partners (Utilities, Grid Operators, Renewable Power Developers, Consumers, etc.) to understand and document their challenges, business processes, and requirements for transformational use of data, models, and software to solve electric-grid related problems
- Be the primary technical subject matter expert with partners and bring industry-specific knowledge and understanding of our partners’ technical and commercial needs into discussions with our Engineering and Product functions to coordinate the development of moonshot solutions that meet the customer’s needs
- Engage closely with Commercial and Engineering teams to ensure we are aligned in meeting milestones, achieving contractual obligations, and coordinating partner engagements
- Track current and future industry trends to ensure we see emerging issues and help our partners better navigate them
What you should have:
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, or other engineering disciplines, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience and in-depth knowledge in at least one of the following areas: Power System Operations, Transmission and/or Distribution Planning and Operations, Power Market Operations, Renewable Resource Development
- Experience in managing technical projects and working in group settings
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, communicate effectively at all levels, and execute and iterate quickly with ever-changing problem sets and environments
It’d be great it you also had these:
- Professional Engineer or Engineer in Training
- Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, or other engineering disciplines, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience providing technical training or developing training specifications for engineers, power system operators, or related disciplines
- Experience developing complex power system-related models (e.g. security-constrained unit commitment, powerflow, etc.) or coding in languages such as Python, R, C, or Java
- Knowledge of Power industry regulatory processes
- Experience working in a startup-like environment
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.