X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
Free Space Optical communications AI residency
At Google X we are developing Free Space Optical Communication to bring affordable internet to developing countries
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA. It could be remote for exceptional cases.
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in a PhD program.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
Your will be a hardware engineer with excellent software skills
- Optimize Photonic / electronic components for Free space optical communications.
- Develop software lab automation framework
- Develop data analysis framework for analyzing experiments
- Build photonic / electronic models for the components
- Proven track record of Open source contributions in GitHub
- Scripted layout (gdsfactory)
- Simulation: FDTD (Meep), spice (pyspice) ...
- Lab automation
- Python, GIT, optimization
- Main developer, author, maintainer of at least one relevant open source project (Github profile link required)
- Open-source contributions that demonstrate relevant skills. Notice that your application will be NOT CONSIDERED without relevant GitHub open source contributions.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.