X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To attend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Collaborating with confidential X Project team to applying AI to their project's mission
- Understanding the project’s challenges
- Suggesting a number of ways in which AI can apply to those challenges
- Prototyping solutions
- Work closely with team members to implement solutions
- Learning Moonshot thinking, attending colloquium and tech talks
- Engaging with the X Internship community during the program
- Having fun!
- Must be enrolled in a Phd program focused in a STEM field such as Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Neuroscience or Mathematics/Statistics.
- Strong interest and familiarity with machine learning.
- Completed coursework in calculus, linear algebra, and probability, or their equivalent.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to: Python, Java, C/C++
- Experience with machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as: deep learning, computer vision, robotics, optimization, on-device learning, nlp, audio/speech recognition, signal processing or time-series analysis.
- Experience working with TensorFlow
- Open-source projects that demonstrate relevant skills and/or publications in relevant conferences and journals (e.g. NIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICASSP)
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.