X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
As the Communications Manager for X’s moonshot for the electric grid you will be leading this team’s storytelling efforts and developing clear and inspiring communications strategy and campaigns to explain the moonshot-sized problem the team is working to crack and the radical technology they are developing. You will work closely with partners on communications campaigns and inspire future partners in industry and government to join us in our mission to rapidly accelerate the decarbonization of the grid.
How you will make 10X impact:
- Devising fast-paced and accurate communications materials and campaigns for a diverse set of press, industry and policy audiences.
- Develop and deliver a communications strategy to support the team’s ambitious regulatory and policy change agenda across the world.
- Be able to work directly for the Vice President.
- Develop and advise leadership on communication strategy and where advantage can be made.
- Internal communications: be an expert communication resource across the organization.
- Develop a team to deliver to all-media material supporting these campaigns such as blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and talking points.
- Working cross-functionally and align with X and other partner organizations to create, lead and execute complex multi-stakeholder communication campaigns
- Build and maintain strong relationships with members of the press, influencers, and partners, including serving as an on-record spokesperson.
- Engaging in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers
- Training, advising, and developing spokespeople for media interviews, press conferences, and industry presentations; prepare talking points and briefing docs.
- Build, develop and maintain great relationships with stakeholders working in sustainability and communications across X and Alphabet and ensure messaging is aligned.
What you should have:
- 10 years experience in communications
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Comfort with complicated technology and energy topics, and a knack for explaining them simply to a variety of audiences. Writing sample / test will be required for all applicants.
- Experience with the energy or power industry or energy regulator.
- Sustainability and climate change issues and the related stakeholder landscape are an advantage.
- Significant media relations skills and experience, with a history of developing and building media relationships
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with utilities, energy trade associations, energy and sustainability NGOs and advocacy groups, policy makers, and other similar stakeholders
- Startup/early stage company experience and/or unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements and limited oversight
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering in a very fast-changing environment
- Willing and able to flex between higher level strategy and detailed executional work
- An optimistic and resilient spirit
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.