X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team
We believe that there are tremendous opportunities for protein engineering at the intersection of cutting edge machine learning, high-throughput data analysis and scientific modeling approaches to facilitate a shift towards a bioeconomy, low carbon green growth and advances in human health.
One of X’s confidential synthetic biology projects is looking for a Bioengineering Lead with direct experience performing assays to measure protein function and/or commercializing proteins, including enzymes, for a range of industrial applications. This is a full-time permanent position.
About the role
This project works in close collaboration with a high performing machine learning team based within Google Research. The Bioengineering Lead will implement the technical elements of a commercialization strategy for novel partner collaborations, as well as coordinating wet-lab experiment design and integration. As an early-stage project, we’re primarily focused on performing experiments in collaboration with external partners. However, you will also assess the feasibility of developing capabilities in house at X. You’ll be excited by the opportunity to roll up your sleeves and get stuff done as a key early member of the team.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Collaborate with the Project Lead, project team and other Xers/Googlers on hiring, technical and product roadmapping and design documents, prototyping, strategy setting, partner collaborations and commercial vision
- Lead on design, analysis and communication of molecular biology and biochemistry assays with partners and in-house, including experimental design, design of data collection frameworks and process automation
- Coordinate development of software pipelines for processing, integrating and analyzing experimental data in collaboration with ML team modeling protein function
- Design and construction of large protein libraries
- Connect and collaborate with the leading experts in the industry and academia
What you should have:
- 5+ years of experience with protein engineering in industry, i.e., ideally designing and commercializing proteins in multiple industrial settings
- Experience building and running assays for measuring protein function
- Technical leadership experience of successful synthetic biology products and teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- MS/PhD in related field (e.g., Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biophysics, Enzymology) or equivalent work experience
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with high-throughput assays and analyzing biological sequence data
- Experience using machine learning to model experimental data
- Experience with the Python data science stack (numpy, pandas, seaborn, etc.)
- Ability to work and thrive on a small team in a fast-paced environment e.g. comfortable with ambiguity/shifting priorities
- Team player with humility, a sense of humor, and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and fast paced environment
- Experience with scalable data pipelines and databases
- Experience with hiring and managing technical teams
- Experience interacting with clients and partners
- Willing / able to travel internationally
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.